Seeds & Bulbs
Gardening season begins early at Gethsemane. In order to provide you with plenty of time to plan pan your spring and summer crops, Gethsemane brings in vegetable and flower seeds, and all of the materials necessary to begin cultivation, at the beginning of each February.
Summer Blooming Bulbs in a wide range of varieties and colors arrive with the coming of Spring (the end of March/ beginning of April). Here in Chicago, these bulbs are either treated as annuals or are dug up in the fall and stored for winter.
Tulips, alliums, hyacinth, crocus, narcissus… come September, Gethsemane stocks a wide variety of Spring Blooming Bulbs for you to plant before the frost hits. Our knowledgeable sales staff can assist you in selecting the best bulbs for your garden.
Each year, Gethsemane kicks off the holiday season with colorful amaryllis and snowy paperwhite narcissus. Bulbs can be purchased as part of a DIY take-home set, pre-planted in a decorative pot, as individual bulbs, or with a decorative water vessel designed specifically for these indoor blooming beauties. Bulbs arrive mid-October and last throughout the New Year.
Wheatgrass and a variety of sprout seeds are available year-round and can be easily cultivated on the kitchen counter.
For more information, we recommend the following references and websites:
For information on our local zone hardiness – see the USDA Interactive Plant Hardiness Zone Map
- The Old Farmer’s Almanac has an updated Frost Chart available online as well as list of the best dates for planting transplants in our region and the current spring planting dates for Chicago. – Please note that these are approximate dates derived from previous weather patterns and the location of the moon. The Old Farmer’s Almanac estimates that these dates are about 50% accurate, but should provide you with some general guidance.
- Seed Savers Exchange has a very helpful garden planner available for a modest yearly subscription fee of $25.
- Johnny’s Seeds supplies a number of free tools including a Seed Calculator, a Target Harvest Date Calculator, a Fall Planting Calculator, a Seed Starting Date Calculator, and a Succession Planting Calculator
- Gethsemane Garden Center’s 101 Learning Series: Seed Starting Basics
- The University of Illinois Extension Service’s Bulbs & More website covers everything from bulb selection to care and maintenance
- Cornell University Extension has a handy guide to Overwintering Summer Bulbs
- Perdue University Cooperative Extension Service provides handy information on Winter Storage of Geranium, Canna, Gladiolus, Caladium, and Begonia
- Iowa State University Extension and Outreach has a guide for the Care of the Amaryllis after Flowering